Plastic is complicated. There’s 7 different types, (yep, that’s what the number etched inside the mobius loop is all about) and some are better than others. Aside from plastics questionable effects on our health is the simple fact that it is so quickly disposed of and often incorrectly so.
Not all plastic is to be feared, though. There are some that are tested to ensure complete safety - think baby bottles or your blender. Those are, generally, sturdy, reliable plastics. But unfortunately, so many other aspects of our everyday lives are riddled with potentially toxic plastics: takeaway coffee cups, shampoo bottles, water bottles, egg cartons, menstrual care products. Should we continue?
The key to ditching plastic is making it convenient. Plastic is everywhere and the majority of the time we are using it because it’s easy and it’s the norm. You can make it convenient by always having plastic alternatives on hand.
Here are some easy ways to ditch plastic:
- Use mason jars and glass Tupperware— stores like Costco, BJ’s, Target, and Walmart have bulk glass Tupperware. Stainless steel works too! Alternatively, shop non-toxic, tested plastic containers. Our friends at INKA sell them in 5 colors. Um, yes please.
- Get silicone bags. Amazon has a variety of silicone bag options that you can reuse for years.
- Keep reusable shopping bags on hand and invest in reusable produce bags. You can find these on Amazon and easily wash with your regular laundry.
- Get beeswax wrap to replace plastic wrap (and often foil)— you can also use this to store food.
- Get a stainless steel water bottle or glass water bottle.
- Keep reusable utensils with you when you travel. Our favorite is INKA's stainless steel set.
- Get stainless steel or glass straws.
- Use a glass french press or stainless steel coffee maker— you’d be surprised how many chemicals can leach out of hot plastic.
Ditching plastic can feel hard at first, but you will save money in the long run and are doing something great for the Earth.
Read more about Eliminating Toxins from your life on our blog, Period Matters.
tadalafil tablets ip is tadalafil and cialis the same thing taldenafil
purchase ajanta pharma kamagra
http://fcialisj.com/ – buy cialis online
What a GREAT email!
Not sure how or why but(probably some contest-that no one ever wins)this is so far my favorite email of the day!!
In regards to your article about plastics…
When I worked for a very well known ski resort in Colorado, one of their partners was that ubiquitous coffee company that the entire world knows. Well, the ski company was out asking employees of ways to reduce their footprint.
I quickly entered an letter regarding the coffee company’s waste with their cups. I suggested that if they were to create a special reusable cup and sell it to consumers with a $1 refill(coffee costs .2 cents a cup)offer..
“thanks but no thanks”.
Since then, I have stopped buying anything from that company. I share this with people and they are shocked at the company’s reply.
Thanks for your time!
Leave a comment